Sustainability Update : Making the Victorian Archives Centre a resource efficient workplace
A number of projects are underway to make the Victorian Archives Centre more resource efficient:
- Staff enjoyed a planting day in late May to establish a sustainable garden filled with indigenous plants in the Shiel Street courtyard. This area was originally planted with vegetation that required constant tending. The new low maintenance landscaping will need less watering and allows more natural light to enter through the level 2 office windows.
- In 2008 the Rainwater Harvesting project was launched which saw four water tanks installed onsite to capture on average 11megalitres of water from the Victorian Archives Centre roof. The harvested water is used for irrigating street trees as per our partnership agreement with the City of Melbourne. Onsite it is used to water gardens and has been connected to our sanitary system to flush through our public toilets.
- Over the past year we have installed sensor lights throughout the Victorian Archives Centre to minimise the instances of lights being left on in unattended rooms and in less frequently used areas of the building. We are continuing with this project and aim to complete it by June 2013.
- The installation of sub metering complements our constant monitoring of gas, water and electricity usage. We are finding that all these actions are helping with cutting down our utilities usage rates.
- Staff at the Victorian Archives Centre are actively involved in the recycled waste program which includes sorting and recycling paper and cardboard, organic waste and comingled waste. This program has proven to significantly reduce the amount of waste being disposed through the rubbish collection. In keeping with the theme of recycling where possible, a recycling furniture program where items no longer needed at the Victorian Archives Centre are being supplied to regional Places of Deposit.
The above points are areas that we are currently working on to enhance the sustainability of the Victorian Archives Centre. Full details can be found in the Public Record Office Victoria Environment Strategy 2011/12 – 2012/13.