The goal of this strategy is to achieve a (Sustainability Victoria) 4 ½ Star Sustainability rating for the Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) Victorian Archives Centre (VAC) by June 2013.
Three overarching objectives have been identified to improve our environmental performance in core business and office-based activities. Targets have been set to achieve these objectives.
The objectives are to:
- Reduce the carbon footprint of the VAC.
- Reduce the ecological footprint of PROV’s office-based activities.
- Support the sustainable management and use of government records.
- Integrate a philosophy of reducing environmental impacts into the organisation’s strategic planning and management.
- Raise awareness of sustainability issues among staff, volunteers and tenants and create a culture of reducing our ecological footprint.
- Increase stakeholder and client awareness of our environmental sustainability commitments.
- Achieve at least a 4 ½ star rating with Sustainability Victoria’s the 5 Star Sustainability Assessment.
- Reduce resource use by a further 10% by June 2012, and a further 5% again by June 2013.
- Improve management of waste, including reducing waste to landfill by 20% by June 2012 and maintaining or developing processes to reuse and recycle.
- Reduce paper use to 10 reams per FTE by June 2012.
- Maintain energy use at least 10% lower than 2009-11 level.
- Reduce consumption of mains water by 10% by June 2013.
- Explore options for the installation of solar panels.
- Provide alternatives that help to reduce car travel by clients and staff; this includes the provision of secure bicycle storage facilities.
- Integrate environmental specifications into procurement and increase the proportion of ‘green purchasing’.
- Improve support for sustainable records management across the Victorian government.
- Collaborate with tenants and service providers on reducing their environmental impacts.
- Explore innovative solutions and use technology to reduce our direct and indirect environmental impacts.
- Develop or maintain processes to measure, monitor and report on our environmental impacts.