The purpose of this category is to encourage and support records management excellence in agencies that have more than 2000 employees.
We would like to congratulate Victoria University on being awarded a certificate of commendation in the large agency category for their Keeping Track of Social Media at Victoria University Project.
This project focussed on activities undertaken to get control of social media use at Victoria University (VU).
The project team included representatives from the following areas across VU:
- Records management
- Public Affairs
The project had several objectives, including:
- Identification of existing social media channels and accounts (including the purpose of the account, line of responsibility, and type of content) created by or about VU.
- Communication of findings about the existing accounts and channels, and the establishment of a framework for managing and monitoring existing accounts and creating new ones within the existing social media governance framework at VU.
- Consideration of recordkeeping requirements, such as what outputs of the various social media channels needed to be captured, how the capture of social media records might happen, and identification additional recordkeeping issues.
The key outcomes included:
- A survey of social media use which determined the extent of social media use.
- A social media register that tracked existing VU channels and is a resource for staff wanting to create new accounts as they can choose to utilise an existing account (with an existing inbuilt audience) rather than create a new one.
- Development of a decision tree to assess the social media accounts to determine if they held records that needed to be captured and of a list of criteria that could be used to assess social media capture tools.
- Capture of VU’s output from Twitter.
This project ensured that the ongoing management and oversight of VU’s social media can be done efficiently and effectively and address some of the key recordkeeping considerations.
The Judges decided that there was no winner in the large agency category this year.