Victorian Archives Centre
99 Shiel St, North Melbourne
Public Record Office Victoria and the National Archives of Australia are opening our doors and inviting you to Dig the Archives at the Victorian Archives Centre Open Day.
Come along on the 2nd of May to take a tour of our massive repository of almost 100km of archives, chat with the experts on hot history topics, listen to awesome speakers, and start your own research journey. There will also be volunteer demonstrations and pop-up ‘how to’ sessions in our Reading Room throughout the day. Ancestry.com.au is also available to access on the Reading Room computers free of charge so you can start your own family research.
It’s set to be a busy day so we highly recommend you register for your chosen talks, tours and presentations in advance to avoid disappointment!
Download the full program: Dig the Archives Schedule
Register for talks:
- 10.30am – The Power of the Public Record, Gideon Haigh, Journalist and Author
- 11.30am – Start Researching Here! Adam Shirley (NAA), Jack Martin (PROV)
- 12.15pm – Ancestry DNA, Ben Mercer (Ancestry.com.au)
- 1.30pm – ANZAC Commemorative Talks, Gerard Poed (NAA), Daniel Wilksch (PROV)
- 2.15pm – Transformative Women in Victorian History, Bev Roberts, Liz Rushen, Charlie Farrugia and Pauline Rule
- 3.30pm – Ghosts from the Open Archive, Stefan Schutt (Victoria University)
Register for presentations:
- 10.30am – How to: Research Your Home, Dr Sebastian Gurciullo (PROV)
- 11.15am – How to: Get the Best out of Ancestry.com.au, Ben Mercer (Ancestry.com.au)
- 12.00pm – How to: Research our Photographic Collections, Daniel Wilksch (PROV)
1.15pm – How to: Research Women’s Health Files: Royal Women’s Hospital Collection, Janet McCalman
- 2.15pm – How to: Research Your Family Tree, Joan Hunt and Adam Shirley
- 3.15pm – How to: Preserve Your Family Treasures, Conservators from The Centre for Cultural Materials
Register for tours*:
- 10.30am – Treasures of the Archives Auslan Tour
- 10.45am – Treasures of the Archives Tour
- 11.00am – Treasures of the Archives Tour
- 11.30am – Treasures of the Archives Tour
- 11.45am – Treasures of the Archives Tour
- 12.15pm – Treasures of the Archives Tour
- 12.30pm – Treasures of the Archives Tour
- 2.00pm – Treasures of the Archives Tour
- 2.45pm – Treasures of the Archives Tour
- 3.00pm – Treasures of the Archives Tour
*Please note, these are walking tours. Wheelchair access is available. On arrival, signs will point you to the cloak room where you can securely stow your bags which are prohibited in PROV’s repository. Signs will then point you to the Reading Room where tours will assemble and depart. Photography in the repository is prohibited. As a potential participant please consider the following before making a booking:
– Tours will last approx 40 minutes and a minimum level of fitness is required to walk and stand for this time.
– There are no toilet facilities available once the tour is underway.
– The secure nature of our facility requires the tour to end and all participants to return to public spaces if a member is unable to continue on the tour for any reason.
Get your copy of Inside History at this year’s Dig the Archives: