- XML (eXtensible Markup Language) -the recognised standard in system interoperability and data exchange.
- Encapsulation – metadata and document content are wrapped up together into a single object.
- Extensible schema – providing ability for the standard schema to be extended through the inclusion of new components.
- Digital Signatures – to provide evidence of authenticity and integrity for each record, while retaining the possibility of changing the records in a controlled manner.
- Multiple document content – each record can contain multiple documents that together form a record.
- Relationships – relationships can be described to link individual records together to form a contextual narrative.
Public Record Office Victoria > Services to Government > Victorian Electronic Records Strategy > About VERS > Leading Edge
VERS is addressing the problem of long term preservation by applying internationally accepted standard technologies and concepts, including: