Copying and Publishing Public Records
This PROVguide outlines a range of options for making copies of records held by Public Record Office Victoria (PROV). Most original records held by PROV can be copied except where copying would cause damage. PROV reserves the right to select the most appropriate copy process, and reading room staff can advise the most suitable copying method on a case by case basis. Victorian government visitors are advised to also consult PROVguide 3 Copying Services – Government Access regarding obtaining copies of records for which their agency is responsible.
Making your own copies in a reading room
Researchers can make copies of records free of charge using their own digital camera, provided that conditions of use are observed. For details see PROVguide 24 Use of Digital Cameras in PROV Reading Rooms.
Microfiche and microfilm prints
Researchers can make copies of microfilm and microfiche records using reader printers in PROV reading rooms. Copies are 95 cents per page.
Printouts from public printers (A4 paper copies)
Printouts of digitised records and index pages from public computers in a PROV reading room cost 65 cents per page. See PROVguide 23 PROV’s Digitised Records and Online Indexes for more information about accessing digitised copies of public records online.
If you are not able to visit a PROV reading room to view records and arrange your copy order, you may wish to hire a search agent to undertake this on your behalf. See PROVguide 15 Research Agents for contact details.
Obtaining permission to publish
Before a public record can be reproduced in a publication or exhibition, the written permission of the copyright holder must be obtained. Refer to PROVguide 25 Copyright For Researchers for information about the process, which includes completion of an Application for Permission to Publish form. See PROVguide 13 How to Cite Public Records for guidelines on citing public records.
Certified copies for legal purposes
Copies of public records produced by PROV can be certified for legal purposes by the Keeper of Public Records. A certification charge of $5.00 per record (in addition to copying and postage) is charged regardless of the number of pages copied. For example, the following copies would cost $5.00 for certification:
- One document in a probate file
- All documents in a probate file
- One page in a volume
- 20 pages in a volume
It is advisable to allow 10 working days for certification which is undertaken subject to the availability of the Keeper of Public Records. To ensure the integrity of certified records, copies of records will only be certified by the Keeper if the copy has been made by PROV and has not left PROV custody.
Placing a copy order in a reading room
Copy orders, using methods outlined below, are placed in person at PROV’s reading rooms as PROV is unable to provide copies of records in response to phone or written requests. Copy orders placed through PROV contain a written citation identifying the record. See the ‘Certified’ section further on in this PROVguide if you require information about certification of records.
Placing your copy order
Step 1: Order records via PROV’s online catalogue and visit the relevant reading room to view records
Step 2: Complete a copy order form available from the copying desk
Step 3: Pay for copy order, and postage or certification if required, by 4.30pm for the standard copy service, or by 3pm for the same-day fast-track photocopy service.
At the Victorian Archives Centre payment can be made by cash, Eftpos (minimum $5), credit card (minimum $10) cheque or money order. PROV cannot accept payment by American Express. Please make cheques and money orders out to Public Record Office Victoria. At the Ballarat Archives Centre payment is by cash only.
Receiving your copy order
Completed photocopy orders placed at the Victorian Archives Centre can be picked up from the information desk.
If placed at the Ballarat Archives Centre completed copy orders can be picked up from the BAC reading room (9.30 – 4.30, Mondays and Tuesdays, except for public holidays).
If postage has been ordered and paid for copies will be posted to the nominated address.
- The standard photocopying cost is 65 cents per page plus a postage fee if postage required.
- Photocopy orders are completed within 25 working days at the Victorian Archives Centre. Photocopying is undertaken on demand at the Ballarat Archives Centre (9.30am – 4.30pm, Mondays and Tuesdays, except for public holidays). Ballarat staff will advise on a timeframe for copy orders.
- Records larger than A3, fragile records, photographs and volumes cannot be photocopied by PROV. As files are not taken apart to be photocopied, PROV cannot guarantee the reproduction of a full page in a file, such as where the binding restricts the page from being fully opened.
Fast track photocopy service
PROV offers a fast-track photocopying service for orders up to 20 pages. In addition to the 65 cents charge per page, the following charges and conditions apply:
- $15.00 fast-track fee
- Same-day orders need to be placed by 3:00pm
- Copying will be completed by the end of the day; 4.30pm
- $7.50 fast-track fee
- Copying will be completed by 1pm the following day
PROV can make high resolution digital copies of records suitable for publication or exhibition. Before a public record can be reproduced in a publication or exhibition, the written permission of the copyright holder must be obtained. Refer to PROVguide 25 Copyright For Researchers for details.
- Digitised image files are $15.00 each
- Digitised images can be emailed or provided on a CD (see below for postage charges)
- Digital orders are completed within 10 working days
- Large format photocopying
Requests for digitised images must be completed using the Application for digital images for you to complete and either scan and email, or fax (+613) 9348 5656 to PROV. Digital copies of records are $15.00 (Aus) each. Copies are provided on cd as .tif files or emailed to you as .jpegs. You can pay with a credit card by emailing us your credit card details, or you can post a cheque with your application.
To help us ensure that we are providing you with the correct image, please send a copy if available, with your order form and payment.
Our postal address is:
Public Record Office Victoria
PO Box 2100
NORTH MELBOURNE VIC 3051
Large format photocopying
Large format copying is undertaken by an external copying service provider to PROV using an overhead photocopier. The prices given are for black and white prints and are based on the size of the copy. Prices for colour copying are available on application.
|A0 (1189 x 841 mm)||$12.50|
|A1 (841 x 594 mm)||$12.50|
|A2 (594 x 420 mm||$5.50|
|A3 (420 x 297 mm)||$5.50|
|A4 (297 x 210 mm)||$5.50|
- There is a minimum charge of $12.50 to cover handling and set-up costs. For example, for one A3 copy, the price would be $12.50. (Additionally, see postage prices below.)
- Orders are couriered to the copying service provider on Thursdays. Copying is usually completed and couriered to PROV on the following Thursday. However it is advisable to allow for 15 working days for your order to be made available to be picked up or posted.
Reproduction of photographs is undertaken by an external service provider to PROV. Prints are made on glossy paper unless matte is specified.
- When multiple prints of the same item are ordered, the first will be charged at the quoted price but all subsequent prints will cost 30% less.
- Orders are available for pick up or posted within 15 working days (see postage prices below).
|Size of print||Existing negative||No existing negative|
|Black & White||Colour||Black & White and Colour|
|13 x 10 cm (5 x 4 inches)||$7.00||$7.00||$7.00|
|18 x 13 cm (7 x 5 inches)||$7.00||$7.00||$10.00|
|25 x 20 cm (10 x 8 inches)||$11.00||$11.00||$13.50|
|28 x 36 cm (11 x 14 inches)||$22.00||$22.00||$25.00|
|41 x 30 cm (16 x 12 inches)||$23.00||$25.00||$35.00|
|51 x 41 cm (20 x 16 inches)||$28.00||$35.00||$35.00|
|61 x 51 cm (24 x 20 inches)||$34.00||$40.00||$40.00|
Postage and handling
|Service||Type (or equivalent eg. 5 x A3 or 10 x A4)||Charge|
|Envelopes||Large Letter format: up to 100 A4||$4.75|
|Parcel format 1: 100-200 A4||$7.50|
|Parcel format 2: 200-500 A4||$11.60|
|Tubes||60mm x 600mm: up to 5 sheets A3||$8.00|
|90mm x 850mm: up to 5 sheets A2||$11.55|
|60mm x 600mm: 6-20 sheets A3||$14.00|
|90mm x 850mm: 6-20 sheets A2||$15.80|
|Overseas||Price on application|
|Registered mail an additional||$2.75|