Author: Public Record Office Victoria
Author Hazel Edwards is offering her year-long non-fiction masterclass again next year, with the aim of participants completing their books by December 2022. The workshop will run in the Victorian Archives Centre conference room on the first Friday of each month throughout 2022 (with flexibility to move online if required due to COVID-19).
This year-long course will appeal to procrastinators and those involved in a non-fiction book length project who wish to finish their manuscripts within the year. Subjects can include memoir, autobiography, 'how to' books and family histories. You can enrol regardless of what stage you are at with your book. All participants will be required to present a draft chapter each session.
This is the fifth year this masterclass has been based at the Victorian Archives Centre with participants from previous years completing family histories and other non-fiction works within the year, many utilising the records of Public Record Office Victoria and National Archives in their research. You can read articles from past students on the PROV blog, including:
- The Missing Piece of the Puzzle
- And Then The Research Went Sideways
- Researching Houses No Longer There
- Celebrating Writing Online
Topics to be covered in 2022 include:
- pitching proposal
- title importance
- possible structures and narration perspectives
- ‘anecdultery’ and story shaping
- research skills including interviewing
- value of work-shopping chapters
- query letters
- publishing processes and options
- participants will also receive a short tour of the archives during one of the sessions.
The 2022 class will:
- be limited to 25 participants
- include 3-hour monthly sessions on the first Friday of each month throughout 2022, beginning in February, 10am to 1pm on the following dates:
Participants should try to attend all sessions to get the most out of the course. Hazel's invoiced fee, $600 plus GST ($660) for the year, is to be paid direct to Hazel with no refunds if you miss a session or drop out before the end of the course.
To register for this course please contact Hazel Edwards via email at email@example.com
Bookings must be finalised by the end of December, and paid by the first week in January.