We are redesigning our catalogue. To take a sneak peek click on the slider to the right, search and order your records and send us some feedback. You can also order records as normal via this site below. You may need to perform a search again if switching between old and Beta versions of the site.
Author: Government recordkeeping
About the survey
Recently we sent out a survey to our stakeholders seeking feedback on:
- the quality and usability of PROV’s Recordkeeping Standards, Specifications and guidance products
- how they can be improved
- how compliance with them can be increased.
Thank you to everyone who responded.
PROV intends to repeat this survey periodically to check that progress is being made and that agency concerns and needs are being addressed. Agency feedback throughout will be essential to the currency and relevance of the products developed and issued by PROV.
Survey results show respondents believe the documents are generally comprehensive, of a high quality and that they are well used within the respondent agencies.
Concerns expressed were regarding their currency, gap areas and usability.
The main usability issues identified relate to the:
- volume of requirements
- format of documents
- lack of a searchable database
- difficulty in finding and relating requirements across multiple documents
- lack of “pathways in” and “stepping stones”.
Suggestions given for improving quality and usability and increasing compliance in agencies included:
- making it easier to search, relate and “get into” the documents
- assisting agencies to progressively comply through developing a stepped approach based on different environments and scenarios
- developing more tools, templates and case studies
- requiring annual attestations
- suggestions on how to influence executive level staff.
To address some of the concerns raised in the survey results, PROV is undertaking a program of improvement activities during 2016/17.
Development of the new PROV website
PROV has developed a comprehensive suite of new guidance material for Government recordkeepers including:
- a document library for easier access to the Standards, Specifications, guidance products and Retention and Disposal Authorities
- A-Z of topics pulling together advice and guidance on various recordkeeping requirements and practices
- step-by-step guides for common processes
- new case studies.
Development of new guidelines
PROV is currently developing new guideline material to cover a number of recordkeeping areas including:
- database transfer
- determining appropriate disposal instruments
- developing retention and disposal authorities
- templates and checklists for digitisation projects.
Planning for the development of a new Records Management Assessment tool
PROV is planning to develop a new tool for agencies to use to help them measure their records management maturity and compliance against the PROV Standards.