Last updated:

September 20, 2017

What do I need to know?

There is no centralised collection of Railway Employment records and the staffing records were transferred between the different branches along with the employees.

It is beneficial to know in which branch of the railways the employee worked as this appears in the series title (e.g. Staff Registration: Transportation Branch).  

Branches for which Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) hold records are: Rolling stock, Traffic, Transportation, Way and Works, Commercial and Marketing, Refreshment Service, Trading and Catering,  Electrical Engineering Stores, Freight Services, Printing.

How do I search?

  1. Browse through all the records archived from the Agency: Victorian Railways, Tramways Board, Transit Authority and Public Transport Corporation
  2. Filter by date range
  3. Look for terms such as ‘staff record’ ‘staff register’ ‘employee leave book’ ‘employee history cards’ ‘employee history sheets’ ‘accident register’ ‘accident compensation claim book’ ‘staff salary records’

About these records

Railway employment records kept by Victorian Railways  since 1859 can be a rich source of information for the family historian.  There is a wealth of detail to be found in records such as Inwards and Outwards Correspondence Files, Accident Compensation Claim Books, Discipline Record Books, Leave Record Books, Sponsored Migrant Records, Staff Registers and Employee History Sheets.

Many railway employee records are closed due to Section 9 of the Public Records Act. However, to make a request for access to former employee records contact the Department Of Transport.

Next Steps

Once you have found records of interest to you, order them online and then view in our Reading Room.

What are in these records?

  • names
  • addresses
  • ages
  • employees
  • details of accidents and injuries suffered,
  • promotions
  • leave entitlements
  • dates of beginning and ending employment with the railways.