What do I need to know?

If you are looking for a particular person it may be helpful to know what organisation or branch they worked for as employment records are not in one place.  Otherwise, it is always helpful to know the rough dates and locations of events.

How do I search?



About these records

We have records from several tram companies that were merged to form the Melbourne and Metropolitan Tramways Board (MMTB) in the early 1920s, and records of the MMTB.  We also have some records of the regional tram lines in Ballarat, Geelong and Bendigo. 

Who created these records?

We have a page for each of these organisations, where you can see a list of the records we hold:

Next Steps

Once you have found records of interest to you, order close order Definition Physical records can be ordered for viewing in PROV’s reading rooms.  When a user orders a record, it is reserved solely for their use. them online and then view in our Reading room.

What are in these records?

These are generally administrative records of the various companies and trusts:

  • most of the business of these agencies is conducted through letters (correspondence), which will document decisions and agreements within and between companies
  • you may also find registers of employees or wages
  • you will generally find bound copies of minutes of meetings.

State trusts and boards generally had to prepare an annual report to the Victorian Parliament.  Sometimes copies of these reports end up in the records, but you can always find copies in the bound volumes of ‘Papers tabled before Parliament’.  These volumes can be found digitised on the Parliament of Victoria website.