We welcome submissions for our next exhibition In The Shadows
The Victorian Archives Centre Gallery is seeking images from contemporary street photographers for a new exhibition called In The Shadows to be launched at the Victorian Archives Centre, North Melbourne, in October 2019.
Who are we? The Victorian state and federal government archive preserves photo collections of historic images of Melbourne and Victorian streets, people and landscapes which date back to the mid 1800s. In The Shadows will feature photographs from these collections that reflect on the theme, alongside images representing Victoria today, curated from submissions by contemporary street photographers.
We are looking for photographers who can offer a unique interpretation of In The Shadows and impress us with a striking image. Grab your camera and explore the lesser known nooks of your city or town. Perhaps underground cultures will draw your attention, or you'll capture the people and places that others may not notice, or maybe an usual silhouette will paint a story in front of your eyes.
- Submit by 5pm, Friday 27 September 2019 using the online form below.
- All images must be taken in 2018 - 2019, within the state of Victoria, Australia.
- All images should interpret the theme In The Shadows and be street photography (not posed or studio photography). To honour the tradition of archival and street photography, we are looking for unmanipulated work, which remains true to the original image.
- Up to 3 images can be submitted per person.
- A title, year, location and artist statement are required for every photograph submitted.
- Your image must be online and available for us to view without a password. Before sending us the link please ensure that it can be viewed without needing to log in to an application or enter a password. The link must go directly to a single image. If you'd like to keep your work private, we recommend uploading to Google Drive or Dropbox. A Dropbox account is free, here are some instructions or setting up a Google Drive account with a gmail account, here are some instructions.
- For more information, email email@example.com with the subject line ‘VAC Gallery’.
- Image rights remain with the photographer, VAC Gallery asks permission for use of images for publicity purposes only. This is not a commercial gallery. Exhibitions prints will be made available for photographers free of charge to pick up, when the exhibition closes.
- The VAC Gallery is in the lobby of the Victorian Archives Centre at 99 Shiel Street, North Melbourne. It is open Monday-Friday and the first and last Saturday each month.
Check out photos from the launch of our previous exhibition Moving Melbourne