Online bookings are no longer required to visit the Reading Room. To make sure you stay up-to-date on Reading Room service changes follow us on social media via Twitter or Facebook. We will also keep this page updated with any service changes as they arise.
August 2022 service notice:
From Monday 1 August our main lift in the Victorian Archives Centre will be out of service for one month due to maintenance works. Visitors entering from the Level 1 carpark can use the stairwell to get to our Level 3 reception and Reading Room. Otherwise we recommend parking along Shiel Street where there are 2 and 4 hour spaces available and direct entry to Level 3. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.
When visiting us
When visiting please maintain at least 1.5 metres distance from other visitors and staff, and practise good hygiene. If you are unwell, please get tested and stay home. Visitors must follow the Victorian Government's current guidelines on wearing face masks: coronavirus.vic.gov.au/face-masks
When visiting the Reading Room you will be able to:
• view records you have pre-ordered
• use the computers for your research with no time limit applied
• seek extended advice from Reading Room staff
• use your own laptop or tablet and access our free Wi-Fi
• take photographs of records using your own device or the PROV digital cameras and scanners
• access microfilm, microfiche and other reference material on the shelves
• place copy orders in the Reading Room (with credit card payment)
• place remote copy orders (except fast-tracked orders)
• use the carpark and carpark entrance as normal. Please take note of signage in relation to lift limits.
These arrangements will be reviewed in accordance with guidance from the Victorian Government on advice from the Victorian Chief Health Officer.
To keep you safe we are open with a COVIDSafe Plan. We have:
• reconfigured the Reading Room to ensure physical distancing
• implemented density limits
• installed hand sanitisers throughout the building for staff and visitors
• increased our cleaning requirements including regular cleaning of doors and handles, plus thorough cleaning of the Reading Room at the end of each day
• implemented new systems and processes to limit the need to touch objects and to ensure a safe distance, where possible
• replaced some IT equipment with equipment that can be cleaned thoroughly between uses
• installed signs across the building to remind staff and visitors about hygiene and physical distancing requirements
• installed Perspex barriers at counters to provide additional protection for staff and visitors.
For information about COVID-19, please visit coronavirus.vic.gov.au