The Victorian Archives Centre remains closed
27 July 2021 update
In the lead up to the launch of our new online catalogue and ordering system on the 9th of August, our Reading Room remains closed and ordering of records for North Melbourne is unavailable. Unfortunately we also need to cancel any records currently out on order to ensure all records are accounted for during the new system changeover. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.
We look forward to sharing our new system with you on the 9th of August at which time our Reading Room will re-open and ordering will be back and better than ever! More information can be found here: https://prov.vic.gov.au/about-us/our-blog/website-improvements-coming-provvicgovau
When the Victorian Archives Centre is open
Online bookings are required to visit the Reading Room.
Once you've made your booking you can visit us any time between 10am and 4.30pm on the day.
To maintain the required density limits, researchers without prior bookings will not be admitted.
Visitors accessing the National Archives (NAA) must order NAA records in advance. However Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) visitors are welcome to come in and use our resources whether they have ordered PROV records or not.
All visitors to the Victorian Archives Centre are required to provide their contact details. When visiting please maintain at least 1.5 metres distance from other visitors and staff, and practise good hygiene. If you are unwell, please get tested and stay home.
Visitors must follow the Victorian Government's current guidelines on wearing face masks.
When visiting the Reading Room you will be able to:
• view records you have pre-ordered
• use the computers for your research with no time limit applied
• seek extended advice from Reading Room staff
• use your own laptop or tablet and access our free Wi-Fi
• take photographs of records using your own device or the PROV digital cameras and scanners
• access microfilm, microfiche and other reference material on the shelves
• place copy orders in the Reading Room (with credit card payment)
• place remote copy orders (except fast-tracked orders)
• use the carpark and carpark entrance as normal. Please take note of signage in relation to lift limits.
These arrangements will be reviewed in accordance with guidance from the Victorian Government on advice from the Victorian Chief Health Officer.
To keep you safe we are open with a COVIDSafe Plan. We have:
• reconfigured the Reading Room to ensure physical distancing
• implemented density limits
• installed hand sanitisers throughout the building for staff and visitors
• increased our cleaning requirements including regular cleaning of doors and handles, plus thorough cleaning of the Reading Room between morning and afternoon sessions
• implemented new systems and processes to limit the need to touch objects and to ensure a safe distance, where possible
• replaced some IT equipment with equipment that can be cleaned thoroughly between uses
• installed signs across the building to remind staff and visitors about hygiene and physical distancing requirements
• installed Perspex barriers at counters to provide additional protection for staff and visitors
• encouraged the use of face masks when 1.5 metres distance from others can’t be maintained.