Public Record Office Victoria holds regular networking events, forums and communities of practice for records management professionals.
Records Management Network Meeting
The Next Records Management Network Meeting Was held on Tuesday 12 February 2013 at the Treasury Theatre, 1 Macarthur Street, Melbourne from 11 am until 2 pm.
Speakers were as follows:
- Mr Rob Spence, CEO Municipal Association of Victoria, who spoke on the MAV approach to information and records management.
- Mr David Watts, Commissioner for Law Enforcement Data Security who spoke on data security and privacy.
- Ms Rebecca Grant, Executive Director of iCourts, who spoke on being prepared for a Royal Commission: a discovery primer for agencies. Please click here for a copy of the presentation slides.
- Mr John Rutkowski, Department of Treasury and Finance, who spoke on WOVG EDRMS findings and status.
Our flagship forum is the quarterly Records Management Network (RMN), which provides an opportunity for government records managers and archivists to meet quarterly to discuss issues of interest and relevance to the profession.
Members of the Records Management Network are responsible for records management and archives in public bodies within Victoria. The objectives of the Network are to:
- provide a forum for the provision and dissemination of information and the exchange of views on issues affecting records management in public bodies
- enable members to contribute to the development of legislation and standards affecting records management in public bodies and to provide advice to members on compliance requirements arising from these changes
- disseminate advice to members on the development and use of information technology applications to enable good records management practices
- provide the opportunity for training and skill sharing of members
- support the Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) and the National Archives of Australia (NAA) in the promulgation and review of policies, standards and procedures governing records management in public bodies.
Digitisation Community of Practice
The Digitisation Community of Practice provides agency staff who are planning or undertaking digitisation activities the opportunity to discuss their projects with others, share their knowledge, challenges and issues they may be facing. The group meets 3-4 times per year, usually at PROV, for a very informal meeting lasting 1.5 hours. Members from two to three agencies give an informal talk about their plans and projects, with other members attending giving a quick update on their activities. There is also time set aside for questions and general discussion.
Records Managers Forum
Records Management Forum (RMF) Meetings are held 3-4 times per year for approximately 1.5 hours, with each meeting hosted by an agency in or close to the Melbourne CBD. Anyone working in the Victorian Public Sector who has some involvement in records management is welcome to attend. Each meeting has a theme, with two or three presentations given by agency RM staff and plenty of opportunity for questions and discussion.