What does the journal publish?
Provenance is a free journal published online by Public Record Office Victoria (PROV). The journal will publish peer-reviewed articles, as well as other written contributions, that contain research drawing on records in PROV’s holdings.
The purpose of the journal is to foster access to PROV’s archival holdings and broaden its relevance to the wider Victorian community.
The records held by PROV contain a wealth of information regarding Victorian people, places, communities, events, policies, institutions, infrastructure, governance, and law. Provenance provides a forum for scholarly publication drawing on the full diversity of these records.
Provenance brochure (PDF 1,500 MB)
Contact the Editor
Please direct any queries, comments and submissions regarding Provenance to the Editor, Sebastian Gurciullo, who can be contacted by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone on (03) 9348 5600, or by post to:
The Editor, Provenance
Public Record Office Victoria
PO Box 2100
North Melbourne Victoria 3051
The editorial board includes representatives of:
- Public Record Office Victoria access services;
- the peak bodies of PROV’s major user and stakeholder groups;
- and the archives, records and information management professions.
An editor is appointed to the board to co-ordinate production of the journal and the activities of the editorial board. The current editor is Sebastian Gurciullo. All board members are appointed to the board by the PROV Director and Keeper of Public Records for a period of two years.
- Dr David ‘Fred’ Cahir, Senior Lecturer, Federation University Australia, Ballarat
- Dr Shannon Faulkhead, Centre for Australian Indigenous Studies, Monash University
- Dr Sebastian Gurciullo, Editor, Provenance, Community Archives Officer, Public Record Office Victoria
- Dr Antonina Lewis, Senior Project Archivist, eScholarship Research Centre, The University of Melbourne
- Dr Seamus O’Hanlon, Associate Professor, School of Philosophical, Historical and International Studies, Monash University
- Dr Dianne Reilly, Fellow, School of Historical Studies, The University of Melbourne
- Katherine Sheedy, Professional Historians Association (Vic) Inc.
- Dr Judith Smart, Royal Historical Society of Victoria, Adjunct Professor, RMIT University, Principal Fellow, The Australian Centre, The University of Melbourne
The current editor of the journal is Dr Sebastian Gurciullo. All dealings between authors, referees and the editorial board should be directed to the journal editor in the first instance.
Assessment of submitted articles
Assessment of all submitted articles is overseen by the editor in consultation with the editorial board. All articles intended for the peer-reviewed section of the journal undergo double-blind peer review by at least two referees with expertise relevant to the submitted article. The editorial board also makes recommendations regarding the publication of informal articles in the Forum Section. For guidelines and information for authors interested in submitting an article to Provenance, see the Author Guidelines.