Agency
Department of Mines (also known as the Mining Department)
VA 2719
1860 - 1895
Agency names
Officially known as: Department of Mines (also known as the Mining Department)
Establishment and Functions
In September 1860 the ‘Act for amending the Laws relating to the Gold Fields’ was passed and in November 1860 a Commissioner of Mines was appointed and the Department of Mines (also known as the Mining Department) was established under his administration. For the period of November 1861 to June 1863, the Postmaster General was responsible for the Department of Mines. A Minister of Mines was again appointed in 1863. The ‘Mining Statue’ was passed in 1865.
Prior to 1860, the Chief Secretary's Department (VA 475) had been responsible for the administration of the goldfields, geological survey and associated mining activities. Throughout the 1860s The Public Words Department (previously the Department of the Commissioner of Public Works) (VA 669) and Department of Crown Lands and Survey (VA 538) gradually transferred responsibility for the goldfields water supply, mining surveyors, water right licencing, mineral leases to the Department of Mines.
For a brief period from 1891 to 1893 the Department of Mines was also responsible for forests and, until 1880, for the Schools of Mines subsequently transferred to the Education Department (VA 714). When the department was abolished in 1895, responsibility for mining and geological survey were transferred to Department of Mines and Water Supply (VA 2720).
The major responsibilities of the Department of Mines were:
The regulation of mining and related activities through the issue of miner’s rights, business and residence licences, mining leases, mineral and other prospecting licences;
Rural Water Supply
Arising from its initial responsibility for the supply of water on the gold fields, the Department became responsible for rural water supply from the mid 1860s. Statutory responsibility for rural water works during this period rested with the Board of Land and Works (VA 744). In 1865 the Waterworks Act gave the Board power to construct waterworks, purchase land, levy charges and lease or sell works, while the Public Loans Act 1865 empowered it to provide loans to local water trusts for waterworks. The actual administration of these statutory provisions was undertaken by the Victorian Water Supply Department (VA 2787) which operated from 1865 to 1889 as a sub-department of the Department of Mines, from 1889 as a department in its own right, and from 1895 to 1909 as a sub-department of the Department of Mines and Water Supply (VA 2720).
In 1895 the Department of Mines (VA 2719) and the Victorian Water Supply Department (VA 2787) were amalgamated to form the Department of Mines and Water Supply (VA 2720).
Geological Survey
By 1855 the Geological Survey had been associated with the administration of public lands and responsibility was transferred to the Chief Secretary in 1858. In 1861 responsibility was transferred to the Commissioner of Mines but in 1862 when the Postmaster General became briefly responsible for the Department of Mines, the Commissioner of Crown Lands and Survey assumed responsibility for both mining and geological surveyors until 1864 and 1867 respectively, when responsibility was resumed by the Minister of Mines.
In September 1860 the ‘Act for amending the Laws relating to the Gold Fields’ was passed and in November 1860 a Commissioner of Mines was appointed and the Department of Mines (also known as the Mining Department) was established under his administration. For the period of November 1861 to June 1863, the Postmaster General was responsible for the Department of Mines. A Minister of Mines was again appointed in 1863. The ‘Mining Statue’ was passed in 1865.
Prior to 1860, the Chief Secretary's Department (VA 475) had been responsible for the administration of the goldfields, geological survey and associated mining activities. Throughout the 1860s The Public Words Department (previously the Department of the Commissioner of Public Works) (VA 669) and Department of Crown Lands and Survey (VA 538) gradually transferred responsibility for the goldfields water supply, mining surveyors, water right licencing, mineral leases to the Department of Mines.
For a brief period from 1891 to 1893 the Department of Mines was also responsible for forests and, until 1880, for the Schools of Mines subsequently transferred to the Education Department (VA 714). When the department was abolished in 1895, responsibility for mining and geological survey were transferred to Department of Mines and Water Supply (VA 2720).
The major responsibilities of the Department of Mines were:
The regulation of mining and related activities through the issue of miner’s rights, business and residence licences, mining leases, mineral and other prospecting licences;
- Superintendence of the activities of Mining Surveyors, Registrars, Wardens and Mining Boards;
- Investigation of the State's geological structure, mineral wealth and underground water resources;
- Development of the mining industry;
- Supervision of the safe working of mines, machinery and quarries including the credentialing of mine managers, inspectors and operators;
- Regulation of the disposal of sludge and other waste products;
- Administration of the Victorian Mining Accident Relief Fund.
Rural Water Supply
Arising from its initial responsibility for the supply of water on the gold fields, the Department became responsible for rural water supply from the mid 1860s. Statutory responsibility for rural water works during this period rested with the Board of Land and Works (VA 744). In 1865 the Waterworks Act gave the Board power to construct waterworks, purchase land, levy charges and lease or sell works, while the Public Loans Act 1865 empowered it to provide loans to local water trusts for waterworks. The actual administration of these statutory provisions was undertaken by the Victorian Water Supply Department (VA 2787) which operated from 1865 to 1889 as a sub-department of the Department of Mines, from 1889 as a department in its own right, and from 1895 to 1909 as a sub-department of the Department of Mines and Water Supply (VA 2720).
In 1895 the Department of Mines (VA 2719) and the Victorian Water Supply Department (VA 2787) were amalgamated to form the Department of Mines and Water Supply (VA 2720).
Geological Survey
By 1855 the Geological Survey had been associated with the administration of public lands and responsibility was transferred to the Chief Secretary in 1858. In 1861 responsibility was transferred to the Commissioner of Mines but in 1862 when the Postmaster General became briefly responsible for the Department of Mines, the Commissioner of Crown Lands and Survey assumed responsibility for both mining and geological surveyors until 1864 and 1867 respectively, when responsibility was resumed by the Minister of Mines.
Jurisdiction: Victoria