We are redesigning our catalogue. To take a sneak peek click on the slider to the right, search and order your records and send us some feedback. You can also order records as normal via this site below. You may need to perform a search again if switching between old and Beta versions of the site.
What do I need to know?
You will need to know the original location name of subjects within the photographs (roads, bridges, locations) e.g. Wonthaggi Road or Bradshaw's Creek Bridge or use keywords specific to engineering techniques of the time e.g. lattice girder bridge or truss bridge etc
This series consists of photographic negatives created by the Photographic Services Section of the Country Roads Board (VA 722) from 1913 to 1973.
How do I search?
The photographs are partially described and may include the following details:
- Title (which may include a location, the name of a road or the type of work being completed)
- Date (defaulting to 1st Jan if year only recorded)
- Subject (which may include a location or other reference, such as the name of a road)
- Caption (where recorded)
- Negative number
- Other reference number(s) used by the agency over time.
You can browse through and download the digitised photographs here.
Please note that the images are large, high resolution TIFF files, which may take some time to download.
Alternatively, you can conduct a search for images using the form below.
About these records
In the 2000s, Roads Corporation (also known as VicRoads) (VA 2982) began digitising the negative collection to improve accessibility and ensure preservation. The digitisation process involved digitally scanning and converting the original hardcopy negatives into positive processed digital photographs.
Who created these records?
The photographs in this series were taken by a variety of in-house photographers employed by the Country Roads Board (VA 722).
What are in these records?
Images in this series depict:
- Construction of roads and bridges, including engineering techniques,
- materials and machinery utilised to develop road networks,
- staff and workers who contributed to the improvement of Victoria's roads,
- documents about the implementation of road safety awareness into Victorian society.