What do I need to know?
The files contained in this series (VPRS 10300) are those of non-government schools and mostly of schools that are now closed. Some inactive files of operating schools are also within these records.
How do I search?
Either enter a full or partial school name into the school name OR a school number into the search field below. Search results will include a list of non-government schools.
About these records
The contents of the files include:
- an application for registration
- correspondence to and from the Registered Schools Board
- inspectors reports, other correspondence
- notifications of extensions or alterations to schools
- schedules of school fees, extracts of minutes of meetings of the Registered Schools Board
- maps and plans
- applications to open schools
- building survey reports
- trust deeds for the purposes of holding fees payable by overseas students
- and a myriad other documents concerning the administrative functioning of these schools.
Some file covers contain lists of relevant dates in the schools history, for example, date registered, any change in grade levels taught at the school, Registered Schools Board endorsements and extensions of endorsements.
Who created these records?
Teachers and Schools Registration Board (VA 2309)
Council of Public Education (VA 2310)
Registered Schools Board (VA 1225)
Knowing a school name and number will assist you in locating records held at PROV that are related to that school.
PROV also holds records relating to some non-government school buildings, for more information on what you can search in these records, see the topic page on non-government school buildings.
What are in these records?
Searching this index will show you the following things about a non-government school:
- school number
- school name
- type of school
- region name
- inspectorate name
- local government name.