Last updated:

What do I need to know?

  • The location of the property
  • The name of the Local Government Authority (i.e. the name of the Council or Shire).

The planning schemes are divided into metropolitan Melbourne and regional Victoria, and also into pre-1988 and post-1988 schemes.

How do I search?

The maps are filed separately from the ordinances, so you will need to order at least two different records to find all the details on a property. 

About these records

Land development in Victoria since the Second World War has been governed by planning schemes administered by local government. These schemes provide rules on how land can and cannot be built on. You can use planning scheme records for a general understanding of how development was planned. You may also find out about particular decisions and restrictions for specific locations.

Other relevant planning scheme series:

Next Steps

What are in these records?

Planning scheme documents consist of maps of local areas (suburbs, councils) that identify the boundaries of particular planning zones, and the associated ordinances that give details on the planning policy for each zone on the map.

In these documents you will see:

  • the zones that each council uses
  • planning rules that apply to each zone
  • ‘overlays’ such as heritage overlays that cover several zones
  • details of specific planning decisions

Material in the Public Record Office Victoria archival collection contains words and descriptions that reflect attitudes and government policies at different times which may be insensitive and upsetting

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples should be aware the collection and website may contain images, voices and names of deceased persons.

PROV provides advice to researchers wishing to access, publish or re-use records about Aboriginal Peoples