We are redesigning our catalogue. To take a sneak peek click on the slider to the right, search and order your records and send us some feedback. You can also order records as normal via this site below. You may need to perform a search again if switching between old and Beta versions of the site.
What do I need to know?
- the address of the building
- the application number
Note: If you think the construction took place before 1916, read the page on Notices of Intention to Build. Records of applications from around 1961 onward are still held by the City of Melbourne. In other words if the date range on the index card is beyond 1961 you will need to contact the City of Melbourne records department.
How do I search?
How to find the Application Number?
- Look at the digitised index cards for Melbourne Building Application Index (City of Melbourne) 1916-1993 on Ancestry.com.au or
- Use this link for free Reading Room Access Only
- Look to the right hand side of the landing page Victoria, Australia, Selected Trial Brief and Correspondence Registers and Other Images, 1837-1993 and you will see Browse This Collection
- Select Melbourne Building Application Index from the dropdown menu
- Browse by street name from the drop down menu e.g. 'Beckett - Bourke'
- Find your property address (on card tab) and note down the application number.
(building plans after 1961 are held at Melbourne City Council, contact their Records Department)
How to find the plans?
Type in the application number below.
About these records
The Local Government Act 1915 allowed local governments to create by-laws regulating building construction in their municipality. Our collection contains plans and correspondence relating to over 60,000 applications to build in the City of Melbourne between 1916 and 1960.
Once you have found records of interest to you, order them online and then view in our Reading Room.
What are in these records?
The building plans submitted by a building owner and any correspondence exchanged with the City of Melbourne in the course of submitting an application to build.