Last updated:

August 12, 2021

A person was considered insolvent when unable to meet their debts in full. Supreme Court hearings established that the debt outweighed the insolvent person's estate, and heard creditors' claims. In 1928, responsibility for insolvency cases was passed to the Commonwealth Government.

What do I need to know before I start?

In many cases, knowing the name of the debtor is enough. However, for most cases you’ll need to know the approximate year the action was initiated in either the Supreme Court, Insolvency Court in Melbourne or a regional court. If the case was heard in a regional court, you'll need to know its location.

If the case was not heard in Melbourne, select the "Search for regional records" option.

If the case was heard in Melbourne between 1842 and 1871, you can initially try "Search for records by name or number (1842-1871)" below. If that search is unsuccessful, try the "Use indexes to find a case number (1842-1871)" option.

If the case was heard in Melbourne between 1871 and 1928, select the "Use indexes to find a case number (1871-1928)" option.

View online or at the Reading Room?

Look for the icons below to identify if records are viewable online (mouse over globe) or need to be ordered online and then viewed at our Reading Rooms (open book):

Look for these icons to:

View online

Visit Us

Material in the Public Record Office Victoria archival collection contains words and descriptions that reflect attitudes and government policies at different times which may be insensitive and upsetting

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples should be aware the collection and website may contain images, voices and names of deceased persons.

PROV provides advice to researchers wishing to access, publish or re-use records about Aboriginal Peoples

(Years 1842-1871) Record Series 759, 762, 765 and 10246
Multiple records series