Author: Government recordkeeping
As of the 9th of August, we are pleased to announce the completion of the Digital Archive Program at Public Record Office Victoria which we commenced in 2015. This program represents a key initiative of our Victorian Electronic Records Strategy (VERS) to ensure access to complete, authentic and meaningful digital records now and into the future.
The program saw the complete redevelopment of all PROV archival management, storage and access systems. In particular we have built and implemented:
• New digital archive infrastructure capable of preserving and supporting access to modern digital records
• A revised Archival Control Model (ACM) to enhance our records description practice
• A new archival management system to support the new ACM
• A new secondary asset management system for faster access to digitised records
• A new warehouse management system for our physical collection
• A new online catalogue
• Enhanced record ordering features and services such as request for digitisation
What this means for you:
• For digital records transfers there will be faster ingest times, the ability to transfer larger file sizes and a broader range of file formats, plus the ability to transfer our next generation VERS 3 VEOs.
• Enhanced descriptions of records in the PROV catalogue, facilitating searching and identifying records of interest via the online catalogue.
• Faster access to digital content on the online catalogue.
• Enhanced online search and order functionality including:
- Viewing thumbnails as you search making digital records easier to find and download.
- Filtering search results by multiple options (date, series, keyword) at the same time.
- Selecting records as you search.
- Ordering digital copies directly from the item page without filling out a separate form.
- A personal Dashboard which will display your past and current orders, pick up and viewing times and links to digital copies.
- Direct ordering by simply entering your direct order details or uploading a spreadsheet directly to the order page.
- Notification via email when your records can be picked up by courier and notification again when they are to be returned.
- A waitlist that enables you to be notified when records become available if they are on order with another agency or user.
- Note: The catalogue terminology "unit" has changed to "box" and "consignment" to "record groupings" to make the collection more accessible for the public. Learn more here.
Recommencing our transfer program
Thank you for your patience with the disruption to our transfer service during this time. This program of work has taken a lot longer than we had anticipated. We are now contacting agencies that have existing transfer requests with us to commence prioritising projects. If you have a new transfer request please start by familiarising yourself with the relevant guidance on our website:
• Digital records transfer step-by-step
• Physical records transfer step-by-step
With the launch of our new Digital Archive, digital record transfers are high on our agenda but we’re also still accepting physical record transfers now and into the future. We look forward to working with agencies on both digital and physical transfers.