About our VEO creation products
Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) has developed technical code and tools to convert permanent and long-term value digital records into VERS Encapsulated Objects (VEOs).
The code and tools have been created for:
- software developers in Victorian Government agencies to develop in-house tools and processes to convert their digital records into VEOs for transfer to PROV and/or long-term storage
- commercial software developers to create and sell records management products that can generate VEOs.
Technical development packages
Two types of VEOs are currently supported by PROV:
- Version 2 VEOs (created under the requirements of PROS 99/007 Management of Electronic Records Standard and its Specifications)
- Version 3 VEOs (created under the requirements of PROS 19/05 Create, Capture and Control Standard and its Specifications)
PROV recommends Version 3 VEOs where possible as these types of VEOs have less stringent metadata requirements and they support records with multi-level, hierarchical folder structures.
Software developers should consult the relevant PROS 19/05 or PROS 99/007 Technical Specifications for the type of VEOs they are generating.
PROV has developed the following packages to generate and/or validate VEOs:
The packages contain:
- Java code for the tools
- Supporting JAR files
- Sample files (e.g. PFX for signing VEOs, schemas and templates)
- BAT files to demonstrate how applications can be run
- Word and TXT files to provide instructional information