Author: Public Record Office Victoria
It's official! On the 9th of August we are excited to launch our new search and online ordering system which makes ordering and managing your record and copy requests a whole lot easier. This system replace our current catalogue 'Access the Collection' for North Melbourne users.
You can now:
- View thumbnails as you search making digital records easier to find and download.
- Select records as you search.
- Order digital copies directly from the item page without needing to fill out a separate form.
- Access your own personal Dashboard which will display your past and future orders, pick up and viewing times and links to copies.
Your last two years of history will be maintained so you’ll be able to login with your email address (your user ID is no longer be needed). For your first time logging into the new system you'll just need to reset your password by clicking on 'Forgot my password'. You can then use 'Forgot my password' any time to reset your password as needed.
If you are ordering records for Ballarat or Bendigo you will need to continue to use our old catalogue until we changeover our regional sites in late 2021/early 2022.
Other benefits of the new system
- You can view the contents of a whole box (previously called a unit) directly from an individual item page, so you can see other records of a similar time or type on one screen.
- If the record you want to view has already been ordered by someone else, it can be added to your 'waitlist' so you will be notified as soon as it's available again.
- Copy orders will remain in your Downloads section so that you can re-download your digital copy any time.
- Looking for an old order? The Dashboard search bar will make this easier allowing you to quickly reference or re-order records you've previously ordered.
- New collection items including digitised inquests from 1926 to 1937, existing passenger list indexes will include digitised records, 25,000 new photographs including Melbourne Harbour Trust and Education Department Publications Branch (digitised with the support of the Ross Trust).
- The majority of the Reading Room microfilm digitised by Ancestry will also be available online.
- You can order up to 24 records at any one time, 8 will be delivered per day, we will hold those records for you for 5 days but you can extend that hold (unless someone has placed a reserve order) via your Dashboard.
Note: The catalogue terminology "unit" has changed to "box" and "consignment" to "record groupings" to make the collection more accessible to new researchers.
Click on the video below to see a preview of our new image and record viewing system and learn how to search within a series.
Click on the video below to see how easy it is to order a record in the new system, including ordering copies without needing to fill in a separate form.